Sunday, August 9, 2009

Thing #15

I remember walking downtown to the library as a young adult and spending hours there...sometimes leaving with a book, album, or sometimes with nothing at all. But it was a fun afternoon for me. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore....if I'm looking for information, I just get online and search the web for it. Music? I log on to iTunes and download what I want. So, what do school libraries have to offer today's students?

A lot. As Rick Anderson, in "Away from the Icebergs" mentions, libraries have to make the move from 'come to me' to "let me show you what I have." But, where does that start? With the teacher asking? With the campus librarian offering? What if neither of the two occur? Then what? Who gets the short end of the stick on that one?

That it needs to happen is not the question...nor do I think that anyone would disagree with that. The bigger issue is who's going to start making it happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment