Friday, August 7, 2009

Thing #10

WOW! I spent way too much time playing with these. I used image chef (www.imagechef.com) for my self portrait. But what I really spend a lot of time with was Glogster (www.glogster.com) and wordle (www.wordle.net). Those were just fantastic! I think of items on image chef (cartoon cell, trading card, etc) as a single media tool. But, on Gloster you've got the ability to use multimedia (pics, video, audio). It was amazing to see what people have done. I can see this as a fantastic tool to use with students as an ongoing book report/reader response. Wordle was a single media tool, but it was just fun. I can see that working well also for younger students and character's traits.

2 comments:

  1. What age students do you have? I teach 8th grade Language Arts. I thought Wordle looked cool, but I couldn't get it to work at the time. I'm going to go back to try again, though. Glogster looked cool, but I unsure about the site because I saw examples that had inappropriate stuff on them. I wasn't sure what would happen if the students tried to get on there. Would it be blocked? I just didn't know if I wanted them looking at all that when they got on there to create their own project. I guess that's a concern with many of these image generators. I think they are very cool, though. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input. I work with sudents in grades K-5. I was thinking of going back to Glogster to see if I could save some of the examples that I wanted students to see (appropriate for the different grade levels - probably 3-5) on my flashdrive. Then, when walking them through the creation of their projects, taking them straight into the 'create your own' section. Of course, that would mean that they would have to search for the graphics, musics, videos, etc. ahead of time. Maybe they could save all of that in a folder on the server. I found a couple of really cool glogs (one on Luche Libre and one on Foot and Mouth disease). That just got my mind running full throttle on science concepts, social studies, etc.! Wordle was fun...I hope you get to try it out. I started thinking about how I could use that for vocabulary. Maybe have students go back and find vocabulary from a unit of study that they felt was important (or new). Be great to use with synonyms/anonyms (I think). What are your thoughts on that? I'd hate to not be able to use Glogster!

    ReplyDelete